Mosman Civic Centre
The Mosman Civic Centre houses Mosman Council, its staff and elected representatives. The Councillors meet in the Council Chambers on the first floor. The Chambers and the Harnett Room are often used for events and functions.
Mosman’s first Council meeting was held in 1893 in a community hall on Military Road, next to the site of the present post office at Mosman Junction.
In 1901 the first official Mosman Council Chambers, designed by James Peddle, were opened on the corner of Military and Myahgah Roads. This building fulfilled Council’s requirements until the 1930s when larger premises were needed. In 1940 a second Council Chambers, designed by Leonard Herbert and Edward Wilson, were opened.
Council’s present home was designed by Travis Partners and opened in 1988. The Mosman Civic Centre was an integral part of The Mosman Square Project which won the National Award for Innovation in Local Government. The complex provides accommodation for Council, seven shops and a restaurant/cafe and a landscaped civic area, while retaining the scale of the original Town Hall site.