Balmoral Rotunda & Reserve
The Aboriginal community found Balmoral to be a rich source of food long before it was used for recreational pursuits. A rock shelter and midden over 3,000 years old can testify to this.
Balmoral is on Hunters Bay, which was named for Captain John Hunter of HMS Sirius. Balmoral has two beaches. Edwards Beach, north of Rocky Point, was named after early landowners who ran a pleasure ground there from 1862. Balmoral Beach is named after Queen Victoria’s Scottish castle. This was the first use of the name Balmoral for the area.
Another early land holder was Thomas O’Neil who in 1814 established a successful farm on the present day Balmoral Oval.
Balmoral’s natural beauty has always attracted visitors and there were a number of weekend camps for those wishing to swim, sail or fish. The most famous of these was the artists’ camp established by Livingston Hopkins in 1880.
By the 20th century, the area’s popularity necessitated a proper road and The Esplanade was completed in 1924. Soon after the Balmoral Beautification Scheme saw the construction of the Bathers’ Pavilion, the Rotunda and the Promenade. The latter two were Council-led Depression-era employment projects. Completed in 1930, they remain much-appreciated facilities for residents and visitors.